Patient Rights and Responsibilities
As a patient at Saint Francis Hospital you have a right…
- To access to care that is available and medically necessary, regardless of race, creed, sex, national origin or sources of payment.
- To be treated with respect and dignity at all times and under all circumstances.
- To privacy and confidentiality, within the law, regarding personal information.
- To reasonable personal safety in the hospital environment.
- To know the identity and professional status of individuals providing care.
- To obtain from the coordinator of your care, complete and current information concerning diagnosis, treatment and prognosis, to the degree that it is known.
- To participate in the development and implementation of the plan of care and to make decisions regarding care.
- To reasonable, informed participation in decisions involving care.
- To formulate Advance Directives and to have those directives followed in accordance with the “Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare Services.”
- To consult with a specialist, upon request and at your own expense.
- To refuse treatment to the extent permitted by law.
- To an explanation of the rationale for transfer to a different facility.
- To information about continuing healthcare requirements following discharge.
- To communicate with people outside the hospital by phone or mail in a familiar language, when reasonable.
- To request and receive a detailed explanation of hospital charges.
- To be informed of hospital rules and regulations and to receive information about the hospital’s mechanism for the initiation, review and resolution of patient complaints.
- To expect reports of pain to be believed and responded to quickly by a concerned staff committed to appropriate pain assessment and management.
- To have accurate information about pain and pain relief measures, including state-of-the-art treatments.
- To voice concerns/complaints without discrimination or reprisal and have the concern/complaint investigated. Such concerns/complaints may be made to the caregiver, the appropriate manager or the patient advocate.
As a patient at Saint Francis Hospital you have a responsibility…
- To provide accurate information.
- To follow the recommended treatment plan.
- To take responsibility for refusing treatment or not following instructions.
- To pay your hospital bill.
- To respect the rights of other patients and of hospital personnel.
- To obey hospital rules and regulations.
A copy of the hospital’s “Rights and Responsibilities of Patients” policy is available for review upon request. Please ask your nurse for information.